Woody Biomass Utilization
This is a resource for entities interested in woody biomass utilization and to facilitate the work of the interagency Federal Woody Biomass Utilization Working Group (WBUG), a working group of technical specialists representing federal agencies whose missions relate to the goal of encouraging the use of woody biomass. Read the Woody Biomass Utilization and WBUG Overview…
Woody Biomass Utilization Topics
Tools and Resources
- Woody Biomass Utilization Desk Guide, September 2007 (PDF, 1.7 MB) - The purpose of the desk guide is to:
- Provide a quick reference guide and suggestions to local land managers regarding locating and collaborating with biomass stakeholders;
- Assess the viability of offsetting the costs of accomplishing hazardous fuels and ecosystem restoration treatments by utilizing marketable small-diameter trees and other biomass;
- Provide suggestions regarding how to use current National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) planning tools to start up quickly and then maintain a biomass-utilization program;
- Provide suggestions regarding how to use cost-effective sale preparation techniques and cost-effective timber sale/stewardship/service contract preparation techniques to provide increased supplies of biomass.
- Woody Biomass Feedstock Yard Business Development Guide, A resource and business guide to developing a woody biomass collection yard (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- The Hidden Treasure, Forests and Woody Biomass - NACD Comic Book showing the riches of woody biomass.
Woody Debris Utilization
- Action Plan for Damaged Timber and Woody Debris Management (PDF, 260 KB) - Prepared by the Disaster Debris Team, Federal Woody Biomass Users Group, June 2010.
- Timber Recovery and Wood Utilization Response to Wind Events and Disturbances Planning Workshop - April 15, 2008, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Wind Wood Utilization - Wind Wood Utilization is the hub for information specifically relating to the preparation for, response to, recovery from major wind events and the utilization of downed and damaged timber and woody debris that can be generated.