Leaders provide information and discussion regarding the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy and related topics.
- National Cohesive Strategy Direction to Department of the Interior Wildland Fire Leadership (PDF, 207 KB)
- National Cohesive Strategy 2013 Direction to Wildland Fire Leadership, September 20, 2103 (PDF, 48 KB) - USDA Forest Service letter from Chief Thomas L. Tidwell to Regional Foresters, Station Directors, Area Director, IITF Director, Deputy Chiefs and WO Directors.
- International Fire Chiefs Association Position Statement (PDF, 188 KB) - IAFC's support for the vision statement for the National Wildland Fire Cohesive Strategy.
- Cohesive Strategy Collaboration, The Development of Regional Action Plans (YouTube video)
In this short video (2:45 minutes), Jim Douglas, Acting Director of the Office of Wildland Fire, describes the Cohesive Strategy. “What different values and cultures have come to the table from whether we sit as a federal perspective with land to manage, or whether we sit as a community with homes to protect, and families to provide for, or whether we're talking about communities that are looking at recreational opportunities, hunting and fishing and so on. So, all of these are different perspectives, different values that come together in a collaborative way to say what's the best way to live with, and use, and protect ourselves from wildland fire.”
- Emergency Medical Services in Western Regional Action Plan of the Cohesive Strategy (PDF, 525 KB) - a memo from the Chair of the National Wildlfire Coordinating Group Risk Management Committee to Dan Smith, Nationl Wildfire Coordinating Group, supporting the actions and tasks in the Western Regional Action Plan (DF, 1.7 MB) to improve firefighter safety and health.
- Emerging Regional Strategies for Wildland Fire Management - The Cohesive Strategy (PDF, 132 KB)
- Cohesive Strategy: How it approaches fire – the local fire chiefs perspective (PDF, 601 KB) - a presentation of Shawn P. Stokes, Assistant Director of National Programs for Wildland Fire, International Association of Fire Chiefs
- An Appeal to Engage with the Cohesive Strategy - A personal message from the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) President, Chief Al H. Gillespie, June 27, 2012.
- Wildland Fire Management and Resilient Landscapes (PDF, 111 KB) - a Western Governor's Association Policy Resolution.
Meet Our Partners
Read more about some of our partners involved with Cohesive Strategy leadership, advice, technical expertise, coordination, and development.
Wildland Fire Executive Council (WFEC)
Bill Kaage, National Park Service
Northeastern Regional Strategy Committee
Maureen Brooks, Northeastern Area, USDA Forest Service State and Private Forestry
Brad Simpkins, New Hampshire Division of Forests and Lands
Southeastern Regional Strategy Committee
David A. Frederick, Southern Group of State Foresters
Chief Will May, International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
Western Regional Strategy Committee
Robert Cope, County Commissioner, Lemhi County, Idaho
Tony Harwood, Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
Douglas MacDonald, International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
“In Brief” Podcasts
Mary Jacobs, National League of Cities. Read more about Mary…
“Cohesive Strategy”, Mary Jacobs, National League of Cities - December 4, 2012
- "Cohesive Strategy" with Mary Jacobs, December 4, 2012 (.mp3, 3:07 minutes)
Transcript (PDF, 86 KB)
Ann Walker, Western Governors Association. Read more about Ann (PDF, 37 KB).
“Cohesive Strategy”, Interview with Ann Walker, Western Governors' Association - December 6, 2011
- "Cohesive Strategy" with Ann Walker, December 6, 2011 (.mp3, 3:27 minutes)
Transcript (PDF, 87 KB)
“Importance of Stakeholder Engagement”, Interview with Bob Roper, Ventura County Fire Chief, and Dan Smith, National Association of State Foresters - November 2, 2011
Bob Roper, Ventura County Fire Chief. Read more about Bob (PDF, 44 KB).
This “In Brief” podcast is an interview with Bob Roper, Ventura County Fire Chief representing the International Association of Fire Chiefs Wildland Fire Policy Committee and local government groups, and Dan Smith, National Association of State Foresters.
- "Importance of Stakeholder Engagement" with Bob Roper and Dan Smith, November 2, 2011 (.mp3, 5:07 minutes)
Transcript (PDF, 94 KB)
Interviews with Dan Smith, National Association of State Foresters - August 25, 2011
Dan Smith, National Association of State Foresters. Read more about Dan (PDF, 44 KB).
Dan Smith, National Association of State Foresters, talks about the goals and phases of the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy in the following podcasts.
Cohesive Strategy Goals
- "Cohesive Strategy Goals" with Dan Smith, August 25, 2011 (.mp3, 2:30 minutes)
Transcript (PDF, 86 KB)
Cohesive Strategy Phases
- "Cohesive Strategy Phases" with Dan Smith, August 25, 2011 (.mp3, 3:34 minutes)
Transcript (PDF, 86 KB)
- Fire Stories
Fire stories from the national parks highlight events, incidents, and the like, associated with fire and fuels management, as well as fire education, technology, partnerships, and more. Stories highlight work related to Department of the Interior initiatives as well as local and regional initiatives.
- Smoke Signals
Smoke Signals is a quarterly newsletter published by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Branch of Wildland Fire Management at the National Interagency Fire Center. The newsletter, written by authors from across Indian Country, highlights activities and accomplishments taking place in the forestry and wildland fire management programs.