Wildland Fire Leadership Council Meetings
Wildland Fire Leadership Council Meeting
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
October 10-11, 2007
Jeff Jahnke, Lori Faeth, Bill Downes, Robert Doyle, Tom Kuntz, Jim Hubbard, Rick Prausa, Nina Hatfield, Mark Beighley, Steve Allred, Ken Stansel, Charlie Dickinson, Karen Taylor-Goodrich, Jim Caswell, Dan Wenk.
|Present results of polling data on public expectations at next WFLC meeting.||Laura McCarthy||February 2008 Meeting|
|Redistribute Cost Containment Report ("Caswell Report") to members of council.||Nancy||Completed – October 16, 2007|
|Complete a draft communication plan for the release of the aviation strategy - ensure the states (NASF) are included in this effort.||FS – Larry Brosnan,
DOI – Kevin Hamilton,
NASF – Dan Smith
|June 2008 Meeting|
|Provide Tom Quigley’s draft report on WFLC performance measures to WFLC members by December 1, 2007.||Rick Prausa||February 2008 Meeting|
|Determine if there is a way to influence criteria for FIREWISE grant allocation.||Kelly Hawk||February 2008 Meeting|
|Update WFLC accomplishments.||Larry, Nancy, and Kate||February 2008 Meeting|
|Produce briefing paper discussing how action items address challenges.||Mark Beighley||Completed – November 2007|
|NWCG develop position paper articulating federal roles and responsibilities in the WUI.||Kirk Roudabough (NWCG chair)||June 2008 Meeting|
|Assign a lead to monitor implementation of 10-Year Implementation Plan Tasks.||Rick Prausa
|Representative selected from FEMA’s Fire Administration – November 26, 2007|
|Agenda for March Collaboration Workshop.||Completed – October 30, 2007|
A one-day WFLC business meeting is scheduled to be held the week of February 4-8, 2008 in Washington, DC, venue to be determined.
Suggestions for February 2008 meeting topics:
- Include update on biomass in February meeting.
- Debrief on 2007 fire season, including tactics, cost savings and comparison with 2006 fire season.
- Discuss emergency stabilization and rehabilitation criteria and definitions. Include states in discussion.
- Monitoring performance report.
- Cost containment report.
Suggestions for March 2008 “Collaboration Workshop” topics:
- Develop “blue print” outlining best practices for homeowners in Wildland Urban Interface and distribute widely among stakeholders.
- Work toward developing partnership between federal wildland fire management agencies and the insurance industry.