The National Strategy: The Final Phase in the Development of the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy
The National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy is a strategic push to work collaboratively among all stakeholders and across all landscapes, using best science, to make meaningful progress towards the three goals:
- Resilient Landscapes
- Fire Adapted Communities
- Safe and Effective Wildfire Response
Vision: To safely and effectively extinguish fire when needed; use fire where allowable; manage our natural resources; and as a nation, to live with wildland fire.
The National Strategy: The Final Phase in the Development of the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy (PDF, 3.8 MB) represents the culmination of the three-phased Cohesive Strategy effort initiated in 2009. The National Strategy establishes a national vision for wildland fire management, defines three national goals, describes the wildland fire challenges, identifies opportunities to reduce wildfire risks, and establishes national priorities focused on achieving the national goals.
The National Strategy explores four broad challenges:
- Managing vegetation and fuels;
- Protecting homes, communities, and other values at risk;
- Managing human-caused ignitions; and
- Effectively and efficiently responding to wildfire.
The Secretaries of the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture transmitted the following signed letter to the United States Senate and House of Representatives submitting this document.
- Secretaries Jewell and Vilsack Transmittal Letters to U.S. Senate and House of Representatives (PDF, 500 KB)
The National Action Plan (PDF, 516 KB) is a companion to the National Strategy and supports its implementation. Backed by science, the National Action Plan provides a framework for implementation actions and tasks necessary at various scales.
Built from multiple discussions within the National Strategic Committee (NSC), the Cohesive Strategy Crosswalk and Strategic Alignment (PDF, 253 KB) report and its Appendices (PDF, 4.5 MB) represents a deeper evaluation undertaken to ascertain national progress made in implementing the Cohesive Strategy, identify gaps in implementation, and attempt to reaffirm the Cohesive Strategy’s goals as the pathway to achieving its vision. To accomplish this, the NSC conducted a crosswalk and evaluated the strategic alignment of actions recommended in the Cohesive Strategy foundational documents and the 2014 Quadrennial Fire Review.
- National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy Trifold Brochure (PDF, 6.1 MB)
- National Strategy Summary (PDF, 618 KB)
- Science for Wildland Fire Management (PDF, 611 KB)
- The National Strategy Key Messages (PDF, 107 KB)
- The Science Analysis of The National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy
- Building a Cohesive Strategy - Foundational Documents and Reports
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 127 KB)